Wednesday 24 June 2009

Holy Vocal Compressor, Batman!

Not specifically related to my music but anyway: this is a vocal compressor called Provoker and it's made by vescofx. The technical description is this: you're trying to record vocals in the most idiotic way you can think of (and, believe me, I have the market cornered in the sheer number of idiotic ways I have tried to record vocals with) and this effect processor looks at you defiantly and tells you in hushed tones "Go ahead, punk, make my day".
Fitting vocals in mixes just got a thousand times easier with this thing. The instructions are simple: push the big knob to make the vocals more present in the mix. According to the programmer, this effect compresses and adds some harmonic excitation/subtle distortion to the signal. Poppycock! (I had written "bullcrap" but I subsequently edited this post to change the word to "poppycock", such is my love for this exclamation). What I imagine happens when using it is Tinkerbell waving her wand over the selected track. I even think I saw her the other day, flying around in FL Studio. Or maybe it was that slutty FL Chan bitch.

Anyway, I love it and it just became indispensible to me. I'm surprised that the people at the KvR Audio forum still haven't made a 15-page praise post about this marvel.

No comments:

Post a Comment